DATA CAPTURE FORM FOR THE REGISTRATION OF OCCUPANT IN AN ESTABLISHED SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONE
CHECKLIST FOR SUBMISSION OF SEZ APPLICATION FORM
Should you have any queries regarding the completion of the application form feel free to contact us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at (876) 619-SEZA (7392).
Basic Eligibility Requirements
SEZ applicant must be company limited by shares registered under the companies Act
Occupant issued or paid up share capital shall not be less than US$25,000.00
Investments by an Occupant in zone-related buildings, machines, equipment
☐ Proof of payment of application fee (payment receipt)
☐ Certified copy of the company’s Memorandum and Articles of Association
☐ Certified copy of Certificate of Incorporation
☐ Certified copy of Tax Registration Number (TRN)
☐ Certified copy of General Consumption Tax (GCT) number
☐ Certified copy of Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC)
☐ Named company representative including, job title, telephone number and email address
Supporting Documents - Land Occupancy
☐ Copy of proposed sub-concession lease agreement
☐ Certified copy of the certificate of the legal right to land ownership or occupancy
☐ Certified copy of a long-term lease agreement clearly stating the duration of the lease
☐ Document establishing that the Applicant is in the process of obtaining occupancy rights to the subject land area
Land Development and Construction Requirements*
☐ Surveyor’s Identification Report, to include:
o Details/description of the boundaries of the proposed SEZ area
o Set of construction drawings (can be presented on 11”x17” paper)
o Written statement on the construction technique and the applicable planning guidelines being used in the construction of this SEZ development
o Surveyor’s Technical Description
o Surveyor’s Identification Site Plan
☐ Project Implementation Schedule
☐ Written statement/profile of the Project Team outlining their technical capacity/experience in doing a SEZ development of this nature
*This applies where the Occupant will be undertaking construction activies at the proposed location
☐ All approvals from the relevant approving agencies, e.g. NEPA, Local Authorities
☐ Building permit (addition/alteration) from the relevant Parish/Municipal Council
☐ Fire Permit from the Jamaica Fire Service
Security, Occupational Safety and Health Requirements
☐ Statement showing adherence to national Occupational Safety and Health Standards
☐ Detailed Security Plan addressing the physical security measures to be employed pre and post construction. This must include measures to differentiate the SEZ from the customs territory.
☐ Health & Safety Plan covering all phases of the development.
☐ Proposed facility to accommodate the Jamaica Customs Agency and the Jamaica Special Economic Zone Authority Authority, where applicable
☐ Proposed SEZ Business Operation
☐ Concept Master Plan** – this is a project plan that includes:
o Final land-use plan
o Full plot and land area layout, sketch plans and designs of a proposed SEZ
o Infrastructure Plan
o All infrastructure and building construction drawings, including proposed height limits, setback requirements and density parameters in each proposed land-use designation or area
o Road networks
o Plot and land-area layouts
o Strategic Environmental Assessment and/or Environmental Impact Assessment with mitigation measures
o Written statement on any plans for phasing or expansion,
o Written statement on any resettlement plans or mitigation measures
**This applies where the Occupant will be undertaking construction activies at the proposed location
☐ Detailed SEZ Development Plan – detailed master plan together with the detailed technical economic feasibility study, to include:
o Business plan and financial analysis that sets out, among other technical, economic, business and financial evaluations, all social mitigation measures and phased development and zoning plans
o Plan should describe the nature and projected value of the investments, including estimated investments relating to SEZ design, financing, construction, development, services, operations, maintenance and promotion activities and projected development costs to be incurred by the applicant during the different development phases of the proposed SEZ
o Business Continuity and Disaster Management & Emergency Plan
I have reviewed and submitted the documents highlighted in the foregoing as a part of an application for Special Economic Zone designation.
- Provide date of application
- State the name of the Developer from which your company will be leasing space. This must be a Jamaican Business Entity under the Companies Act, 2004 (Act 10 of 2004)
- State the unique name the SEZ Developer uses in reference to the SEZ space in which for which the application is being made
- State the SEZ Developer’s Control Number as provided by the Jamaica Special Economic Zone Authority
- State the name and full address of the applicant that intends to operate under the sub-concession lease agreement
- State the name and address of the Authorised Representative, selected by the company’s Board of Directors, who is authorized to complete the filing of this application and who will act as the company’s representative
- State whether the Jamaica business entity listed as the applicant is a part of a Multi-National Corporation, Joint Venture or Special Purpose business. If yes, please provide the company name that represents the parent company/sponsor of the local entity
- State whether the applicant is an existing Jamaican Company under the Companies Act, 2004 (Act 10 of 2004). An “Existing Business” means, any Jamaican Business Entity that is fully operational and generating revenue before the enactment, adoption, and promulgation of the Special Economic Zone Act and these Regulations, as the case may be
- If yes, please select the form of the articles of incorporation – As per The Companies Act, 2004 (Act 10 of 2004) form of the articles are:—
- a company limited by shares;
- a company limited by guarantee and not having a share capital;
- a company limited by guarantee and having a share capital;
- an unlimited company having a share capital,
- Sole Proprietor ship
- State whether the applicant’s firm is a Non Resident Jamaican Company? A Non Resident Jamaican Company is defined as a Jamaican Business Entity incorporated as per the Companies Act, 2004 (No Act 10 of 2004) without any of the Directors and or Shareholders being Jamaican nationals
- Provide the applicant’s Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN). The TRN is a unique nine-digit identification number assigned to each individual taxpayer, business enterprise, organization (non-profit, partnership, charity, etc.) by way of an automated system. The TRN is needed to transact business with other institutions e.g. banks, schools, examination boards etc. The number must be used when conducting business transactions with Tax Departments and other Government Agencies. For more details see the Tax Administration of Jamaica website
- Provide the applicant’s General Consumption Tax (GCT) Number. A GCT number is issued to all persons engaged in taxable activities and who are required to register under the GCT Act. For the purposes of GCT, a person is an individual, a company, or a partnership. A GCT number is issued to all Jamaica Business entities incorporated as per the Companies Act 2004. For more details see the Tax Administration of Jamaica website
- Provide the applicant’s Tax Compliance Certificate (TCC) Number. Tax Compliance Certificate is a document issued to an individual or a company as proof that payments related to tax liabilities and wage-related statutory deductions are current. For more details see the Tax Administration of Jamaica website
- State the equity share capital of the applicant including any amounts from Foreign Direct Investment. Provide the value of the shares issued by the company. This amount should include any Foreign Direct Investment in the project in the form of equity capital, other long-term capital, and short-term capital. Issued or paid up share capital at the effective date of either a master-concession or licence-agreement must not be less than US$25,000. Also, investments by the Occupant in the Zone related activities i.e. equipment, machines, facilities improvement etc. must be greater than US$50,000 within the first year of operation
- Authorized share capital is the number of stock units that a company can issue as stated in its memorandum of association or its articles of incorporation.
- Subscribed share capital is newly issued securities that an investor has agreed or stated his or her intent to buy prior to the issue date.
- Paid-up capital is the amount of money a company has received from shareholders in exchange for shares of stock.
- Provide details of each of the Principal shareholders/Directors including the name and address of each Principal Shareholders/Directors of the company.
- State the current principal Shareholders/Directors. A list of the shareholder/s whether they are a person, company or other institution that owns at least one share of the applicant company’s stock. A shareholder may also be referred to as a stockholder.
- State the name and title/position of the principal officers for the company i.e. General Manager/President, VPs/Directors etc.
- State whether the applicant has previously applied for Free Zone and/or Special Economic Zone status prior to this application and was denied permission. Give a brief description of the nature of the application and reason provided for not being granted the status.
- State whether the applicant is currently an SEZ Occupant (Approved Enterprise transitional Free Zone Promoter as per the repealed Free Zone Act) at any other location or within the existing SEZ. If yes, please provide the name of the existing Free Zone location/s or Stand-alone location/s from which the applicant operates
- Provide a brief description of the applicant’s nature of existing business/type of Zone i.e. does the applicant intend to operate a Business Process Outsourcing; Manufacturing; Storage and Distribution, etc.
- State the lot/building number and street address of the SEZ that the Occupant will be operating from and has been presented with a sub-concession lease
- State the Surveyor’s Identification Number and the detail of the boundaries as described by the Surveyor’s ID. (Applicants are required to submit a certified copy of a Surveyor’s Technical Description, Surveyor’s ID Report and Surveyor’s ID including Site Plan)
- State the applicant’s Ownership/Right Over Land for the proposed SEZ Area. Whether the property is owned or leased. State the length of time that the applicant has right to hold land or property by some form of title from a lessor or landlord
- State the Volume and Folio numbers as describe on the lease or title
- If occupying a floor on a multi storey building, state the floor number
- If the Occupant is providing a service, state the type of service activities that will be conducted by the applicant. I.e. Third Party Logistics Services (3PL), Trucking, Manufacturing etc. If the Occupant is manufacturing, state the type of products being manufactured i.e. assembly of mobile phones, manufacturing of medical devices etc
- State the distance from the SEZ that the applicant will be located to the nearest major ports, both sea and air
- State the Infrastructure requirement such as Facilities and Utilities of the Occupant:
- Requirement of land measurement in square metres/hectare
- Processing area is the total building space that the Occupant will occupy. This includes operating areas such as service centre, factory/production areas, bathrooms, food and beverage areas etc.
- Non-processing areas include parking lots and other areas with buffer zones, standby generators etc.
- Requirement of built-up area
- Size of the office area/s that is used by support staff such as administration, general management, display areas, reception and common areas
- Size of the operations/factory/production/storage area/s such as BPO Call Centre service area, factory/production space, warehousing and distribution space
- Size of any other area required by the Occupant. Please provide description of area
- State the USD amounts that will be spent in new investment in the SEZ related building/s, machines, equipment etc.
- Provide a brief description of the Occupant’s (local and/or foreign) source of funds
- Provide the estimated amount of employment the proposed SEZ Occupant is likely to generate over the first five (5) years of the operation